Printable Murder Mystery Games, Scavenger Hunts & Kids' Party Games
- What are the age ranges for your games?
- Can I view your full game list all on one page?
- What’s included with your games?
- What is your return policy?
- What if I want to produce your games for a public, for-profit event or fundraiser? Do you charge forusage rights?
- How many people/kids can participate in your games?
- Can I customize your games?
- How long are your games?
- How long will it take me to prep your games?
- Who are you?
- How do I place an order?
- How do I download a game?
- What software do I need to use your games?
- Can I open and print from my iPad?
- Why don’t you offer mail order shipping?
To answer questions like the ones below and more please go to our FAQ page just for our murder mystery games
Do you have game samples of your scavenger hunts and kids’ games?
How our KIDS games are played select any game for more details on how it works.
How our scavenger hunts are played and select any hunt for more details on how it works and to see examples of the challenges.
What’s the difference between your corporate team building scavenger hunts and your regular versions?
Click here to compare our team building scavenger hunts and mystery games to our regular versions. The team building games are specifically designed for corporate meetings and events, not for dinner parties, fundraisers or special events.
- Friendly, helpful support by email
- Our easy to follow step by step facilitator guide, instructions and supply list
- Award certificates
- Any and all supporting documents such as point sheets (for team grading of all hunts and kids’ games), team name badges for all hunts and kids’ games, prime suspect guidelines for the murder mystery game prime suspects, a murder mystery game program/guide to the mystery for all participants (click here for a sample) and solution sheet. Any paper clues for the mysteries (for ex., a medicine label or a will).
- WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO BUY/PROVIDE FOR MOST HUNTS AND KIDS’ GAMES: Team collection bags (plastic shopping bags or something fancier – your choice), digital cameras or smart phones and other things (like arts and craft supplies, pens, clipboards and prizes). We’ll let you know exactly what you need to get in our handy facilitators’ guide included with the game.
- WHAT WILL YOU NEED TO BUY FOR THE MYSTERY GAMES: You’ll need to provide a few items like murder weapons (like a fake knife, a pill bottle for a poisoning or rope for example). We’ll let you know exactly what you need to buy/obtain in our handy facilitators’ guide that comes with each mystery game.
For our kids’ mystery detective games and scavenger hunts, click on the game you’re interested in and scroll down the description page for a list of what’s included with that particular game.
- Any scavenger hunt (including our team building versions): Unlimited number of teams of up to 10 people each (minimum of 3 or 4 people per team). We recommend one facilitator/helper for every 2-3 teams to keep things running smoothly, especially when you grade team efforts and tally up completed challenges. If you only have one team, you can have them compete against the clock (instead of other teams).
- Kids’ games: Overall you can have an unlimited number of participants. For most of our games our recommended minimum per team is 3 with a maximum of 8. If you only have a few kids participating in one of our kids’ scavenger hunts, instead of dividing them into teams, you can keep them all on one team and have them race against the clock, giving the single team a time limit to complete each section of the hunt, report back to you and bribe you for the next section and so on until the hunt is complete.
THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS! PLEASE BE SURE TO READ THE DESCRIPTION PAGE FOR WHATEVER GAME YOU’RE INTERESTED IN FOR THE DETAILS SPECIFIC TO THAT GAME
- Murder mystery games (including team building versions): 6 to 8 prime suspects plus up to 125 people (your “detectives” who will solve the case as individuals or in teams). Why the 125 limit? The more people you factor into solving the mystery (that’s their “mission”), the louder and more chaotic it becomes. It’s much harder for the prime suspects (your cast) to work the room, interact and answer questions, it’s harder to get this number of people to focus. Because the idea is to move the action all around the room to draw active participation rather than just performing on a stage with a scripted mystery, more things like clues and motives are missed – there’s just no way that many people can see and hear everything they need to to effectively solve the mystery and have fun. And due to the interactive and spontaneous nature of the mystery, the primary suspects can’t effectively use body microphones. In our opinion, the audience doesn’t have as much fun as we want them too or as much fun as they would have had if they were in a smaller group. It’s a lot easier for 100 guests to actively participate and solve a mystery than it is for, say, 200. Add to that your primary suspects probably don’t have any improv and acting experience (or very little) and to make them act, improvise and work a very large is just too hard on them.
Our games are formatted in Microsoft Word which means you can EASILY edit them to personalize the game for your event. For example, if you select the Our Town scavenger hunt for a birthday party, you can have the teams make a birthday present as one of the team projects. If you’re going to a place you’ve never been, search the Internet for the “city name” and the results will provide you with informative web sites you can use to plug in location specific challenges. You’ll also find some nice ideas on our testimonial pages. Regarding the mystery games, so long as you keep a motive for each suspect you can adapt the mystery to best suit your needs. Please download a script sample of any game you’re interested in before buying just to be sure you like it.
- Any scavenger hunt (including team building versions): 2 to 4 hours, depending on the size of your group*: 5 to 15 minutes for opening instructions and team organization; a minimum of 1 1/2 hours for the scavenger hunt and about 1/2 hour or more for the grading, (optional) team presentations and awards presentation. *The more teams you have, the more time it will take.
- Murder mystery games (including team building versions): Approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The team versions will take 2 to 2 1/2 hours on average. If you’re looking for just a one hour mystery, we can’t recommend ours. Here’s why: You need time to establish who’s who among the primary suspects and you need to give them time to set up their motives for murder. You also need time to set up/drop clues and you need time for the audience (detectives) to questions the suspects, follow leads and find clues. You also need time to have the killer confess. It’s very difficult to fit this into one hour and leave your group satisfied and happy. The mystery will be over before they even have time to settle in to how it works and, if you select a team building version, you definitely will NOT have time to do any of the added teamwork elements we’ve built into it.
- Kids’ games: Approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- AVERAGE PREP TIME FOR OUR HUNTS, TEAM HUNTS AND KIDS’ GAMES: For up to 6 teams, you can put our scavenger hunts together in about 4 to 6 hours (includes shopping for supplies, reading and prepping the materials); as you add teams, you’ll need to add time to the pre-hunt prep. You mostly need to print (and perhaps edit) the documents included with the kit and you’ll need to shop for team prizes and supplies. Our facilitator guides provide a supply checklist for you.
- AVERAGE PREP TIME FOR OUR MYSTERY GAMES: You can prep in an hour or two. You’ll need to print programs and other such documents and organize the props and supplies (clues, murder weapons, etc.) but it’s all very simple to do. We do recommend however that you give your prime suspects about 2 weeks to get familiar with the script and to prepare their character and if possible have one cast read through of the script prior to your event. We’d also recommend that you all watch our little video to get a “visual”. (By the way that’s Susan Haley, the mystery game creator lifting her skirts as Savannah Sugarbaker). Set a time to get together, perhaps add some food and drink to the “rehearsal”, and just TALK through the script. Don’t have everyone read it word for word – it won’t help anyone really understand what’s happening and it’s pretty boring. We’ve always found that if you all talk through the action/sequence as your character, it helps loosen things up, people start finding the humor in their character and they get a better understanding of the whole picture. It’s informal and relaxed – two things you need to alleviate some of the actors’ nervousness.
We accept: MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover and PayPal.
CHECKOUT is an easy process on our SECURE shopping cart.
One the checkout page, make sure your order is correct, add a discount code if you have one (only 1 discount code is allowed per order), then select which payment method you’ll use, PayPal or Pay with Credit Card.
Multiple item discount code: If you’re ordering more than one item, please enter “multiple” (without the quotes) in the discount code box for a 5% discount.
If you’re paying via PayPal, you’ll leave our site for a moment to pay at PayPal. You’ll then automatically be redirected back to our site to download your game. Please email us if you have any problems or PayPal informs you of a delay processing your payment and we’ll email you your game.
If you’re paying by credit card, you’ll enter your name and address (the same address your credit card is billed to). Important: Your address must match the billing address of your credit card. Remember we don’t need a shipping address because you’ll download your game upon order completion. Enter your credit card info (including security code). Click the button to charge your card.
Upon approval, you’ll be brought to a receipt page with your download link. Click on the download link for your order. Save it to your computer and you’re done!
You will also receive an email receipt and an email with your download link.
We use a SSL Security Certificate to ensure secure transmission of your information.
If you have any trouble with your download, just contact us and we’ll email you your game.
Nervous about ordering and downloading a game kit?
Please know I’m here to help you; all you need to do is email me if you have any trouble along the way or if you have questions. There are NO dumb questions or if there are then I’ve already asked them. And don’t forget to call on your computer savvy friends or family members to help you order and download our games. Between all of us, we’ve got you covered! – Susan (game designer and owner)
There will be a download link on the receipt page of your order. Click on it to save it to your computer (if nothing happens with just a simple click try double clicking or click using your right mouse button and use the save as command).
REMEMBER WHERE YOU SAVED THE FILE – to your computer desktop, your “my documents” folder, etc. If you don’t know where you saved it, use the search function of your computer to find it by typing in a part of the name of the game you ordered (examples: kovert, maui, nature, etc.)
1. Once you’ve saved the folder to your computer, simply click/double click on it to open. Your order will be contained in a zip folder (zip folders are nothing scary or unusual. They make it easy to keep related documents together – like our game files – and make e-mailing and downloading faster and more efficient.) On newer computers, this will automatically activate a built-in extraction program.
If you have an older computer and don’t have zip software already installed on your computer, do an Internet search for “free zip compression software for pc” or “free zip compression software for mac”.
2. Once you’ve saved all the game files to a location on your computer, simply click/double click on each document and it will open in the correct program (either Microsoft Word/similar word processing program or Adobe Acrobat Reader).
IMPORTANT: IF you don’t have a lot of computer experience and the instructions here are too overwhelming to you, call us at 707-762-2323 to place your order and we’ll email you the game. We’re in California; general office hours are 10 – 4.
- WinZip or similar compression utility software (think of this as the folder that contains all your game files). This software is often already installed on your computer but just in case it isn’t, do an Internet search for “free zip compression software for pc” or “free zip compression software for mac”.
- Microsoft Word or similar word processing software. Here are 5 free Word alternatives – scroll down the page for the list.
- Some games require the FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader.
If you have ANY trouble opening ANYTHING, just email Haley Productions. We will help.
We recommend that we email you the game files once you purchase (simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you ordered and would like the files sent by email). Otherwise they download as a zip file and zip files can be problematic and a wee bit more complicated that you probably want.
Opening Zip folders: Do an Internet search for “how to open zip files on an iPhone” for instructions.
Our games are formatted in Word – those are the game files we’d send you via email – so you’ll need either Pages or Word on your iPad for viewing and editing.
Opening documents: Do an Internet search for “how to open Microsoft Office documents on iPad and iPhone” for instructions.
Printing: Do an Internet search for “how to print documents from iPad” for instructions.
Some of the game files require slight modifications so we’ve formatted them in Microsoft Word for easy editing. In addition, if we offered a mail order option, and we offered your game on CD-ROM it would have the exact same game files you’ve download (or that we can email to you) AND we’d need to charge you a shipping and handling fee. Bleh. And you’d have to wait. Bleh again.
Your time is worth money. Here are the cost-saving benefits of downloading your game:
- Downloading is absolutely free while shipping your game on CD has added shipping and handling costs.
- Downloading is fast – no waiting. Obviously shipping your game will take a few days to get to you.
- Downloading and printing from your own computer saves you time: no driving to your local print shop, explaining what you want done, driving back to home, driving again to pick up the finished product or waiting around for the finished product.
- Printing on your own printer saves you money: Average cost per black and white page: 1 to 3 cents; average cost per color page: 5 to 7 cents. It costs an average of 5 to 8 cents for each black and white copy at a print shop and an average of 75 to 90 cents per color page. Paper runs about 2 cents a piece on average.
- Downloading helps the environment by eliminating the need for plastic cases and CDs as well as eliminates the emissions made by the various vehicles it takes to deliver your game.
Please remember, we’re here to help. If you have any trouble with your download, contact us. We’ll email your game files and help in any way we can.